Restorative Dentistry Explained
Are you wondering what restorative dentistry is? Restorative dentistry is any procedure performed by dentists to repair or replace a tooth. For example, the dentist near you may provide restorative treatments like cavity fillings, dental implants, and root canals. The goals of restorative dentistry include restoring the functionality of your teeth besides their appearance. In some cases, it’s either one or the other. However, in many cases, it is both.
What Procedures Are Included in Restorative Dentistry?
Many dental procedures fall under the category of restorative dentistry. Some of them are detailed below for your understanding.
- Cavity Fillings: the most common restorative dentistry procedure is dental fillings. When the bacteria in your mouth penetrate the enamel of your tooth to create cavities, they need fillings to protect the soft dental pulp inside your tooth. When performing dental fillings, restorative dentistry near you removes the polluted part of the tooth to fill the hollow space with tooth-colored composite resin materials to prevent the progress of the bacteria from infecting your tooth further.
- Root Canal Therapy: When you have a significant cavity in a tooth exposing the dental pulp, you require root canal therapy from the dentist in Lincoln. Root canals are performed because the inside of your tooth is infected by bacteria. When performing root canals, the Lincoln dentist cleans the dental pulp and canals to eradicate the infection affecting your tooth. The dentist also fills and seals the canals using a biocompatible material to ensure your tooth no longer becomes infected and preserves it.
- Dental Crowns: If you have a tooth damaged from decay or injuries, you can have it reinforced by the dentist 68505 using dental crowns. When getting dental crowns, the tops and sides of your tooth are filed before placing a custom-created crown over it. Dental crowns appear and function like your natural tooth by hiding it beneath the crown.
- Dental Implants: If you have missing teeth because of tooth decay or gum disease besides injuries, restorative dentistry can provide dental implants to replace them. Dental implants function as an artificial tooth roots and are made from titanium. You require surgery from Dr. Brion Dalton to embed the dental implant deep into your jawbone and placing a dental crown over it after you have healed entirely. Dental implants appear and function like natural teeth and are why they are considered the gold standard for replacing missing teeth.
What Are the Benefits of Restorative Dentistry?
Restorative dentistry has many benefits to confirm why dentists routinely perform them on patients. Some of the benefits are:
- The most significant benefit of restorative dentistry is restoring the functionality of your teeth. You can eat and speak with relative ease because your teeth are healthy.
- Another benefit of restorative dentistry is eliminating pain and preventing the need for treatments from the emergency dentist in Lincoln. For example, if you have deep cavities or infected teeth needing root canals, you experience excruciating pain from these problems. Restorative dentistry helps eliminate the pain by correcting the problem and eradicating the infection.
- Restorative dentistry isn’t just about providing treatments if you are affected by any dental issue. Your teeth look better, enabling you to smile with confidence when you undergo restorative procedures.
- Preventing additional dental issues is another responsibility of restorative dentistry. If you have dental problems like cavities, get them corrected immediately upon detection to avoid worsening and creating more dental problems. Having holes filled soon as they are detected prevents the need for expensive root canal treatments. Ignore root canal treatment, and you must start searching for tooth replacement solutions because the infected tooth needs extraction.
- Prevent Jawbone Resorption: You start losing your jawbone the moment you have a missing tooth. If you decide to replace the tooth with dental implants, you prevent jawbone resorption from occurring and benefit by avoiding the consequences of tooth loss that inevitably affect everyone.
Please do not consider restorative dentistry procedures aesthetic because they also provide the benefits discussed in this article. Besides allowing you to maintain your dental health in excellent condition, restorative dentistry also safeguards your overall health. Therefore if affected by any dental issues, schedule an appointment with Lincoln Dental Associates to have the problem treated before it aggravates to cause other complications. Remember, restorative dentistry means putting your dental health back in proper condition to enjoy the wholesome life you desire.