Do Pediatric Dentists Perform Surgery?
Yes, pediatric dentists in Lincoln, NE, can perform various surgical procedures on children’s teeth, gums, and mouth. These procedures include extractions, fillings, crowns, root canals, and braces. Pediatric dentists are specially trained to handle all kinds of dental procedures on children, so you can be assured that your child is in good hands.
What Surgeries Does a Pediatric Dentist Perform?
There are a variety of procedures and surgeries that Dr. Brion Dalton can perform. These include, but are not limited to:
- Tooth extractions
- Cavity fillings
- Root canals
A pediatric dentist is also trained to handle more complicated cases, such as cleft lip and palate or other congenital disabilities.
Is Pediatric Dentistry Stressful?
While some parents may find the thought of their child having dental surgery stressful, it is important to remember that pediatric dentists are highly trained professionals who are expertly equipped to handle any situation that may arise. In most cases, dental surgery for children is relatively quick and easy, and recovery is usually uneventful. With that said, every child is different, so it is crucial to consult your pediatric dentist near you beforehand to get an idea of what to expect.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Pediatric Dentist Perform Surgery?
There are many benefits of having a kid’s dentist near you perform surgery:
- Pediatric dentists have specialized training in performing surgery on children. This means that they are better equipped to handle the unique needs of children when it comes to surgery.
- Pediatric dentists are familiar with the child’s history and can provide more personalized care.
- Because Lincoln dentists work exclusively with children, they are often more comfortable working with them and can provide a more positive experience for the child.
How Should You Prepare for Pediatric Dental Surgery?
When your child needs dental surgery, you want them to be in the best hands possible. You also want to make sure that they are as prepared for the procedure.
Here are a few things to help your child feel more comfortable and ease their anxiety about pediatric dental surgery:
- Talk to your child about what the surgery will entail. They must understand what will happen during the procedure. You can use books, demonstrations, or videos to show them.
- Ensure your child is well-rested and has had a good meal before the surgery. This will help them to feel more relaxed.
- Please encourage your child to express any fears or concerns that they may have. This will help them to feel more at ease.
- Stay with your child during the surgery if possible. This will provide them with emotional support and reassurance.
What Are the Risks Associated With Pediatric Dental Surgery?
Parents should be aware of a few risks and complications associated with pediatric dental surgery. These include:
- Anesthesia: As with any surgery, there is always a risk of complications from anesthesia. It is vital to ensure your child is healthy and has no underlying medical conditions that could put them at risk.
- Bleeding is a common complication of any surgery, but it usually stops within a few minutes. You can use a gauze pad to control the bleeding. If it does not stop or is excessive, it could indicate a more serious problem, and you should visit a Lincoln dentist near you immediately.
- Infection is also a risk with any surgery. The dentist may prescribe antibiotics before and after the procedure. It is also important to ensure they keep the surgical area clean and dry to promote healing and prevent infection.
Schedule an Appointment
Pediatric dentists are highly trained and qualified to perform a variety of treatments for children’s teeth, including surgery. While not all pediatric dentists will offer surgical services, they still provide many other valuable services that help kids maintain optimal oral health. With the right approach and care from a dedicated professional, parents can ensure their child’s teeth remain strong and healthy into adulthood. Visit Lincoln Dental Associates for more information.