Losing teeth can be painful and embarrassing, but that shouldn’t stop you from getting them replaced as soon as possible. One of the most commonly used methods for replacing lost teeth is with dental implants. Dental implants are effective and long lasting, but how much do really know about them? Let’s take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions about dental implants.
- What are dental implants? You might want to learn exactly what dental implants are. They sound scary and intimidating, but they actually work off a simple concept. First of all, it’s important to understand that dental implants aren’t actually teeth. An implant is a prosthesis that is affixed to your jawbone, to which a denture that looks like a tooth is attached.
- What are the advantages? Our teeth grow in a way that makes it possible to chew and talk properly. When you lose a tooth, that functionality is diminished, and your day-to-day life will likely be negatively affected by that. Dental implants can last your whole life and provide the best solution for you to maintain proper function of your teeth. They also look good and most people can hardly tell you have an implant!
- Who’s a good candidate? If you are missing a tooth, you are a good candidate for getting an implant. It’s as simple as that! However, there are more factors to consider when it comes to getting dental implants. For one, you have to be willing to undergo the surgery involved with implants. If you feel uncomfortable or nervous about the prospect, visit with us and we can go over all the details with you.
- What kind of care is involved? Caring for your dental prosthesis is the same thing as caring for your natural teeth. Brushing, flossing, and regular visits to your dentist are the most important parts to caring for your implants. However, you may need some extra care from your dentist, especially directly after the surgery to make sure things in your mouth heal correctly.
- Is this right for you? One of the most important questions you need to ask yourself is if getting a dental implant is right for you. If you don’t feel comfortable with the idea of getting dental implants, make an appointment with us so you can learn everything you need to know about them. We’ll be able to take the time to help you feel more comfortable and informed about the entire process.
Dental implants are becoming increasingly more common in today’s world. Losing a tooth doesn’t have to be life changing in the negative way that it used to be. It also means that if you lose a tooth, you won’t have to worry about denture, which can be equally as embarrassing as not having teeth. If you’ve lost a tooth, don’t delay on getting it taken care of. The longer you wait, the bigger the chance of long-lasting consequences. Make your appointment with us today.